Stretching and physical activity is key in physical therapy. Although you might not always need it, incorporating physical therapy exercises (particularly the stretching portion) will help improve your life more than you know! Everyone enjoys feeling their best, and light activity/stretching is the way to do so. Weâ€™ve compiled some of our favorite stretches, and why you should do them, all in one place! If you are considering getting in to a new physical activity routine, donâ€™t hesitate to reach out to your Wyoming/Nebraska physical therapis
t or your primary care physician.Â
The following are common stretches that we recommend, as well as things we have used with clients in the past. Give them a try - it should take five minutes!
- Runnerâ€™s Stretch - The easiest way to describe this is that it looks like a lunge, except you have a knee on the ground! Lean forward into the stretch and hold for thirty seconds. REpeat on both sides.
- Standing Toe Reach - Stand with your feet together, and bend at the waist. Youâ€™ll extend your arms straight in front of you and try to reach your toes. Hold for thirty seconds.Â
- Arm Circles - This is a good way to keep moving! Hold your arms straight out so they are at your side, even with your shoulders. Next all you have to do is make 10-20 circles forward and backward.Â
There are some benefits to stretching and light activity every day. Here are the two of the biggest benefits from regular stretching/physical activity.
Muscle Strength: Everyday activities can be much easier if you have some built-up muscle strength. It particularly comes in handy when performing yard work or moving boxes, but we can promise it wonâ€™t just make household chores easier! Improved muscle strength will have you feeling better and healthier in no time.Â
Flexibility: This one is a big one - through regular physical activity and stretching your flexibility will increase. This too will have you feeling better, but it will also help to prevent injuries that can happen if you overexert your muscles.Â
It can be hard to fit physical activity in to your schedule, we recommend the following:Â
- Schedule - Create a schedule that you can stick to! For example, we have several clients who fit into a workout in the mornings around 7 am. Once you get into a habit, itâ€™ll become easier.Â
- Prioritize - Prioritizing your workout is important. Itâ€™s easy to let work, children, and household chores get in the way but if you have an hour to watch TV you have 20 minutes to get a stretch in! Do both at the same time!
- Workout Buddies - If you need to be held accountable, a workout buddy is the best way to do that! Once you start setting gym times to meet up itâ€™ll become much easier.
If you are experiencing any pain, or are looking to get into a physical fitness routine, your primary care physician or physical therapist can help. Here at North Platte Physical Therapy, are here to help meet your needs. Physical therapy can be essential in healing from any knee-injury, and with proper care you can be back to your normal routine in no time. We serve the communities of Wyoming and Nebraska with 22 clinics offering a full range of physical therapy services. Contact us today for more information.