Are you experiencing back pain? Have you been told you’ll need to have back surgery? Back surgery can certainly be overwhelming, and even a little scary...but it doesn’t have to be.There are some important things you should know about back surgery and if you are on the fence knowing the pros and cons of pursuing back surgery can help you make your decision. If you still have questions, reach out to your local Wyoming or Nebraska physical therapist
, or your team here at North Platte.
What are the benefits?
There are quite a few benefits of back surgery - some of our favorites are below:
What are the risks?
- Physical fitness
- Improved mood
- Getting back to your normal mode of operation and habit
There are a few risks as well, however, the benefits and potential payoffs from receiving back surgery makes it worth it. Side effects/risks are also rare, and may vary person to person:
What are the different types of back surgery?
- Herniated discs
- Blood clots
- More serious conditions such as heart attack, stroke, and nerve damage
- Spinal fusion: If you are having a spinal fusion surgery, your doctor will be joining your vertebrae. This is a common type of surgery, however the surgery will limit your motion between the vertebrae. Despite this, most likely you will not experience any limit in your range of motion.
- Laminectomy: This is a surgery in which parts of your bone, bone spurs, or ligaments will be removed. While this will help relieve any pressure you are feeling...it can lead to a more unstable spine. Often times you might have this surgery, and then a spinal fusion to assist in stabilization.
- Disk replacement: This is exactly what it sounds like - a surgeon will remove a damaged disk and replace it with an artificial one. This tends to be similar to a spinal fusion, but recovery time is much shorter and this surgery will allow you to continue to move your spine.
If you have questions concerning an upcoming back surgery, we reco