If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal-cord injury, you know that this can be life-changing. You will want to include a physical therapist on your team of healthcare providers. Cheyenne, WY physical therapy treatment
will help you achieve the most out of the rehabilitation process.
How Physical Therapy Helps After a Spinal Cord Injury
Here are the benefits of working with a physical therapist after your injury:
Working one-on-one with a physical therapist means a relationship is created, and this relationship can go a long way toward the injured person making continued improvements physically and emotionally.
- Recovery of sensory and motor functions are improved
- Reintegration into everyday life is more streamlined
- Motivation is increased
The Importance of Physical Activity
Being active physical is important for anyone, and it is especially vital after suffering from a spinal cord injury. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services offers a guideline of at least 150 minutes each week of aerobic exercise and two days a week of resistance training. For those with spinal cord injuries, physical activity has been shown to improve walking as well as strength and function of the upper body.
The Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation offer these tips for staying active
, whatever your injury and ability.
What You Should Look for in a Physical Therapist
Spinal cord injuries can change your life as well as your family member’s lives. Not only are spinal cord injuries stressful, but they require expensive care and treatment.
Choosing the right physical therapist will be crucial to your recovery after injury, so you want to make sure you are getting someone who has the experience and qualifications to work with patients who have your type of injury. Go ahead and ask your physician for recommendations, but you also want to do a bit of homework on your own before deciding on which physical therapist you will work with.
Here are some considerations to keep in mind:
To learn more about living with a spinal cord injury and how physical therapy can help, give us a call. North Platte is your go-to local physical therapist in Cheyenne, WY to provide the physical therapy that will get you feeling better. Our expert staff is respected throughout the Wyoming and Nebraska areas for providing superior and customized physical therapy services. We can handle any of your physical therapy needs—including for spinal cord injuries. Fill out our contact form
- Check their credentials carefully.
- Find someone who has a personality that will mesh well with yours, and meet them in person ahead of time, if possible. Even the most qualified physical therapist will hinder your progress if your personalities clash while you are undergoing treatment.
- Ask for information about their approach to working with a patient with a spinal cord injury such as yours.
- Read their online reviews to find out what past and current patients have to say. This can provide quite a bit of insight into how they work when they are with patients.
to get started and to find a location near you.